Messed up or blank page (Joomla)
Messed up page in back-end
If you see a screen like this, which looks like the style isn't loading:
Cache related solution
If you see something like this image, it means, that your media/nextend/ folder isn't writeable. You should open up your website's ftp, and change this folder's permissions to 777 with everything inside it. If you don't have this nextend folder there, create it in your ftp, and then change the permission of it.
You could also try 755, 775 permissions, maybe one of them will work, but if not, and you don't want 777 permissions, read more about it in here.
You can do this for example with Filezilla, connect to your ftp, look for the media/nextend/ folder, right click on it and choose File permissions…
change the Numeric value to 777, and check the Recurse into subdirectories (Apply to all files and directories).
In rare cases .htaccess files or other server settings can cause a similar problem, if they disable accessing files from the /libraries folder. The easiest way to figure out which case applies to you is to look at the very top of the messed up page. If your problem is cache related, you will see Smart Slider 3's semi-transparent logo. If the problem is htaccess/server block related, you won't see this logo.
|Logo is present above the Dashboard link - cache related problem||Logo is missing from above the dashboard link - htaccess or server blocking related problem|
The solution for this problem is lifting the access block from the /libraries folder. You could check your .htaccess file for codes related to the libraries folder and remove/comment them. ( Be sure to have a backup of your htaccess folder, and work from FTP!)
Messed up or blank page in frontend
One of these errors
- Blank page or messed up page in the frontend, where the slider is published.
- Blank page or messed up page in the back-end at the Smart Slider.
- If somewhere the Smart Slider caused a blank page or messed up page, in the back-end or the frontend, then you should go to System (in Joomla 2.5: Site) → Global Configuration.
- Go to the Server tab and pick Maximum at the Error Reporting.
- Then go to the page, which was blank, and now it should write out an error or more, but probably only one of them is the real error, which is causing the other ones. These are usually server side configuration issues, like the php is missing a basic library, or the memory limit, nesting level is too low, and your server host can help you with that. If you are not sure, just google the Fatal error message, and you will know, what it means.
Messed up backend using AMPPS
First, try to make your site write out the error, which you can do like this. That will give you the idea if you need to turn on some PHP extension, or increase some server setting.
Call to undefined function ctype_digit()
You should enable the ctype extension at AMPPS Application → PHP Tab → PHP Extension. Check ctype and Apply.
Blank page maybe just after a number of slides, and error reporting doesn't say anything
Turn off the Optimize option, if it's on, because if you are using it with too big images, this is a resource heavy process, and probably your server's memory_limit has been reached. If this helps, either use smaller images in the future, or ask your server host to increase the memory_limit value of your website.